Unit 1 Establishing Business Relations 建立业务关系
1. We’ve come to know your name and address from the Commercial Counselor’s Office of the Chinese Embassy in London.
2. By the courtesy of Mr. Black, we are given to understand the name and address of your firm.
3. We are willing to enter into business relations with your firm.
4. Your firm has been introduced (recommended, passed on) to us by Maple Company.
5. Our mutual understanding and cooperation will certainly result in important business.
6. We express our desire to establish business relations with your firm.
7. We shall be glad to enter into business relations with you.
8. We now avail ourselves of this opportunity to write to you with a view to entering into business relations with you.
9. We are now writing you for the purpose of establishing business relations with you.
10. Your desire to establish business relations coincides with ours.
11. We specialize in the export of Japanese Light Industrial Products and would like to trade with you in this line.
12. Our lines are mainly arts and crafts.
13. We have been in this line of business for more than twenty years.
14. Your letter expressing the hope of establishing business connections with us has met with approval.
15. In order to acquaint you with the textiles we handle, we take pleasure in sending you by air our latest catalogue for your perusal.
16. Glad to see you in your company.
17. It’s only half an hour’s car ride.
18. Suppose we make it, say three o’clock tomorrow afternoon.
19. It would be very helpful if you could send us statistics on your sales.
20. We would like to ask you to kindly send us the related information.
A: How do you do?
B: How do you do? Nice to meet you, Ms. Smith. I’m Jack Stevens from the Marketing Department. Here is my card.
A: It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Stevens.
B: Please call me Jack. Have a seat, please.
A: Thank you.
A: Ah, these are the machines we’re interested in. May we have a look at them?
B: Certainly. But they are in the showroom.
A: Is it far from here?
B: Not very far. It’s only half an hour’s car ride. Are you free now?
A: I will be free tomorrow aft- ernoon. Suppose we make it, say three o’clock to- morrow afternoon. Could you manage that?
B: Yes. I’ll pick you up at your hotel.
A: Good morning. My name is Mr. Brown. I’m from Australia. Here is my card.
B: Thank you. I’m pleased to meet you, Mr. Brown. My name is Kathy Perless, the representative of Green Textile Import and Export Corporation.
A: Pleased to meet you too, Ms. Perless. I travel a lot every year on business, but this is my first visit to your country. I must say I have been much impressed by your friendly people.
B: Thank you for saying so. Have you seen the exhibition halls? On display are most of our products, such as silk, woolen knitwear, cotton piece goods, and garments.
A: Oh, yes. I had a look yesterday. I found some of the exhib its to be fine in quality and beautiful in design. The exhibition has successfully displayed to me what your corporation handles. I’ve gone over the catalogue and the pamphlets enclosed in your last letter. I’ve got some idea of your exports. I’m interested in your silk blouses.
B: Our silk is known for its good quality. It is one of our tradi- tional exports. Silk blouses are brightly colored and beau- tifully designed. They’ve met with great favor overseas and are always in great demand.
— 谢谢。布朗先生，见到您非常高兴。我是凯茜?佩利丝，是格林纺 织品进出口公司的代表。
— 佩利丝小姐，见到您我也很高兴。我每年出差跑很多地方,但是,到 中国来还是头一次。你们这里的人非常友好给我留下了深刻的印象。
— 哦，对，昨天我去看过。有些产品质量好，设计又美观。展览会成功向我介绍了贵公司所经营的各种产品。我已看过你上次在信中所 附的目录和小册子，对贵公司的出口产品有了一些了解。我对你们 的丝绸女衫颇感兴趣。
A: Some of them seem to be of the latest style. Now I’ve a feeling that we can do a lot of trade in this line. We wish to establish relations with you.
B: Your desire coincides with ours.
A: Concerning our financial position, credit standing and trade reputation, you may refer to Bank of Hong Kong, or to our local Chamber of Commerce or inquiry agencies.
B: Thank you for your information. As you know, our corporation is a state-operated one. We always trade with foreign countries on the basis of equality and mu- tual benefit. Establishing business relations between us will be to our mutual benefit. I have no doubt that it will bring about closer ties between us.
A: That sounds interesting. I’ll send a fax home. As soon as I receive a definite answer, I’ll make a specific inquiry.
B: We’ll then make an offer as soon as possible. I hope a lot of business will be conducted between us.
A: So do I.
Words and Expressions
do my best 尽力而为
enter into 建立
look forward to
take care of
Chamber of Commerce
enter into business relations
on the basis of equality and mutual benefit
meet with great favor
of the latest style
1. on/through the recommendation of…… 由……介绍（推荐）
We engaged our present secretary on the recommendation of Mr. Brown.
2. under separate cover = by separate mail, be sent separately
We are sending you catalogue under separate cover. 目录将另函寄出。
如表示“随函”，可用“Enclosed please find …?
如：最新目录 the latest catalogue ；最新价目表 the latest price list
4. look forward to 盼望（to 为介词）
We look forward to your early reply. 盼早复信。
We look forward to hearing from you soon. 盼早听到你的回复。
5. enclose 封入
We enclose a copy of our latest price list. 随函寄出我方最新价格表一份。
Enclosed is a copy of our latest price list.
Enclosed please find a copy of ……
Attached please find ……
6. line 行业，（一类）货物
We have been in this line for many years. 我们经营这一行多年了。
This is a good line of hardware. 这是金属器具中的一批好货。
7. to our mutual benefit (interest, advantage)
Expanding trade between us will be to our mutual benefit.
8. I look forward to working with you. (我期望与您 一起工作。)
look forward to sth. / doing sth.
例：We’re so much looking forward to seeing you again.
A Specimen Letter
On the recommendation of your Chamber of Commerce, we have learned with pleasure the name and address of your firm. We wish to inform you that we specialize in the export of Chinese textiles and shall be glad to enter into business relations with you on the basis of equality and mutual benefit.
To give you a general idea of our products, we are sending you under separate cover a catalogue together with a range of pamphlets for your reference.
Please let us have your specific enquiry if you are interested in any of the items listed in the catalogue. We shall make offers promptly.
We look forward to your early reply.
1 I’m Jack from the marketing department.
我是来自 市场部 的杰克。